Health & Wellbeing Service - Manchester
Denture Wearers and Older People
- Everyone including those with full dentures should have regular examinations.
- Dentures should be removed and cleaned every night and should be replaced when damaged or ill fitting.
- Fungal infections can occur if dentures are ill fitting or not cleaned thoroughly.
- If the patient has swallowing difficulties then the advice maybe to keep the dentures in overnight which supports the mouth and keeps the airway open a little more. (SBOHED 09)
- Common condition that increases the risk of dental caries and periodontal disease.
- Side-effect of many drugs.
- Linked to certain conditions.
- General prevention advice is needed.
- Artificial saliva, frequent sips of iced water and even sugar free gum can provide some relief. (SBOHED 09)
- Those most at risk, diabetics, those with blocked salivary ducts, chronic dehydration e.g. renal dialysis pt, Sjogrens syndrome.
- Oral candidosis (thrush), when not associated with dentures, may be a sign of systemic disease causing immunosuppression. (SBOHED 09)